Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Florida Keys Art By Cinnamon

Today, June 1st, is Just Show Up's second anniversary, and I can't think of a better way to celebrate it than with a selection of paintings and photographs by Cinnamon Edgar.



I was surfing the Net the other day and came across Cinnamon Edgar's website. I was immediately captivated by her photography and artwork. To be honest, I'm more than a little picky when it comes to art. I've been known to spend weeks scouring the nation for artwork for our home, only to give up in frustration.


But Cinnamon's paintings and photographs spoke to me on a visceral level. Her body of work is impressive, but for me, a painting or a photograph has to make me feel something beyond mere pleasure. To hang on my wall, or grace my desk, it must transport me to another world.

In short, Cinnamon's work has the artistic wow factor that I don't often find.

Florida Monthly Magazine did a feature on Cinnamon, along with 20 other "intriguing Floridians": "Born with Down syndrome, Edgar developed her love of art at the Marian Center in Miami Gardens, a Catholic school for children with developmental disabilities. Teachers encouraged her to pursue her interests and asked Edgar to paint or draw pictures for cards, special invitations or auxiliary fundraisers."



According to the website, "Cinnamon chose to start her business after making greeting cards for everyone she knows and was prompted repeatedly to start a business. She won a scholarship from the University of South Florida several years ago to do just that."



And the result is a thriving business that showcases Cinnamon's immense talent.

Oh, and as if Cinnamon isn't busy enough creating works of art, "she has won several fishing tournaments including the Miami Metropolitan South Florida Fishing Tournament, winning Jr. Master Angler two years in a row. She loves all kinds of music, although classical and oldies are her favorites."

To read an article on Cinnamon in the Miami Herald, "Florida Keys artist doesn't let Down syndrome stand in her way", click here.

I've given you just a taste of her work, but to see more of her scenic note cards, photographs and watercolors, or to order from Florida Keys Art By Cinnamon, click here.


Maureen

8 comments:

Chiquita Banana said...

She has achieved so much! Maybe you should get a peice that she has done for your house.

www.kiboomu.com said...

Hi Maureen,

All I have been doing lately is social networking!

Which brings me to the reason for this post:

I am really very sorry that this is a form letter :(

However we spent days following everyone on the Simply Follow list from the Mom Bloggers Club, and out of 690 people, maybe only 10 followed us :(

I don’t know if you joined our blog or not, but if you have a moment, could you PLEASE go over to http://www.kiboomu.blogspot.com and give us a quick follow?

Again, sorry for this form letter, but I am going to to back to ALL 690+ people that we followed and leaving this note. Hopefully we will get a super great turnout now!

BTW I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!

XOXOXO
Wendy

Jessica said...

I found your blog through the MBC follow me club. I am now following!

I am new at this blogging thing and am in need of new followers, so please follow me as well.

You can find me at:
http://mommyhoodnextright.blogspot.com

Thanks,
Jessica a.k.a. Nya's mom

Maureen Lee said...

Chiquata, thanks for visiting our blog! I agree that Cinnamon is a gifted artist, and has achieved a great deal in her life. You read my mind - I'm going to order some of her work for our home!

Maureen Lee said...

Wendy, thanks for following our blog. I've been following your blog for a while, as well as on Twitter. Thanks for the positive feedback!

Maureen Lee said...

Jessica, I'm following your blog, as well, and found your latest post to be a balanced, thoughtful piece. Thanks for following our blog! :)

simona said...

happy birthday to the best blog on the web... bar none!... always informative, topical, well written and a fun read.

Maureen Lee said...

Thanks, Simona! As always, you provide positive feedback, and we appreciate the fact that you're still visiting our blog two years after its birth! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails